photography and the landscape

Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Sense of Place

This image , like thousands before it, is a beautiful  & pastoral scene. For me, this simple shoreline represents much more. It is a place I have been exploring for the greater part of my life.  I grew up maybe a thousand yards beyond the center of the photo. I hunted for bottles here, walked on the water when it was frozen over, fished, rafted and swirled beer and more at this waters edge.  I have since learned about native plants and invasive species.  Found that there were entire streets here, Native American Council houses, draw bridges and ships that navigated this waterway , long before I was born. In this to fast paced. throw away society, where greed and selfishness seem to reign, it would be fair to say that having respect and an appreciation for the past is something that is sadly missing in the world today.  Maybe tomorow!

No comments: